Friday, February 8, 2013

Music to Art

So I discovered if I want to write "how to" blogs I need to have a better documentation of pictures, OOPS!

After replacing and refinishing the dresser for my guest room I felt compelled to give the room more of a facelift.  What better way to do that than with new art for the walls! Not wanting to spend a lot for new art I decided to make a piece instead.


After a long hunt for a large frame that didn't cost an arm and a leg I found this one at JoAnn's Fabrics for $20, SCORE 75% off!

SUPPLIES NEEDED:
Frame ($20)
Old Hymnal/Sheet Music ($1-Thrift Store)
Stencils ($2.99-Hobby Lobby)
Paint (Already Had)
Mod Podge (Already Had)
Stencil Sponges ($1.99-Hobby Lobby)

TOTAL: $25.98

Warning: This project may cause you to sing hymns all night long!
After selecting the hymns from the hymnal and ripping them out (I liked the ripped texture better) I placed them on top of the preexisting art piece once removed from the frame to reuse the cardboard.  After strategically placing He Arose and Majesty, among others, I Mod Podged (is that a verb?) the hymns into place and sealed them with Mod Podge as well.  After allowing the Mod Podge to dry I laid the stencils on top of the hymn and began to paint with the stencil sponges.  After fully drying I placed the art piece back into the frame and TA DA!


I love how it turned out!  The glare in these pictures is awful, this is even with the blinds closed and lights off!

1 comment:

  1. Super cute idea! I love the oblong frame :) Thanks for sharing this at The Weekly Creative!

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...